Friday 13 June 2014

Never growing up


I have never wanted to  grow up and it wasn’t turning 22 that scared me; 22 is just a number and Taylor Swift taught me to love that number. What does scare me is that my university education has come to an end. I took a BA in Film and Media Production and then chose to continue on and do a Masters, primarily so that I could avoid growing up and entering the real world.

Great plan.

But even that extra year couldn’t last forever. As I realized it was coming to an end, I began to look for another form of escape. Travelling and leaving the country seemed like the perfect idea. I have never wanted to g row up, responsibility sucks, and I am not quite ready to have a proper job and take on the responsibility of fending for myself. Peter Pan didn’t have to grow up and I don’t intend to either, even when I return from my 3 month adventure. Growing up is for adults and, if I am perfectly honest, I still feel 16. And I like it.

Travelling to America with my boyfriend is allowing both of us the chance to escape from endlessly hearing the same question: “Now that university is over, what’s next?” Its not even the question itself that annoys me, it’s the way people ask me. Some say it with concern in their voice, other patronising, as if they believe that my degree won’t amount to anything. The worst, however, is when someone asks the question seriously, and they’re actually interested in hearing a proper answer. Why? Because I have no friggin idea what is next.

I leave for America in 5 days, and I am very excited. I’ll mainly be based at my aunt and uncles place in San Francisco, but will also be travelling to L.A, San Diego, Las Vegas, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Orlando and Miami. I am looking forward to not having any responsibilities for the next 3 months and allowing myself purely to have ‘fun in the sun.’


Follow me on my blog to hear my stories, the good the bad, and all about my love of clothes, food and film.   


1 comment: