Monday 7 July 2014

A grade to be proud of.

I received my results from university a few days ago and only now do I feel prepared to write about it. It has resulted in a few tears and damped my enjoyment of my holiday so far. Not because of what I received but for what i didn't receive.

Results have never meant much to me. When I was doing my G.C.S.E's I honestly don't think I cared and came out with impressive results for someone not bothered. My A.S Results were the same, I wasn't bothered and surprised myself and my parents on a completely new level, receiving two A's and two B's. It wasn't till my actual A-levels that I cared, I revised and worked hard in the hope to pull out three A's. (Although this was never admitted to any one, three A's is what i wanted and what i thought I would get) I received 1 B and two C's. This was the first time I felt let down by myself and  i was angry, I had done everything right this time. Worked hard, actually revised and even had hired a tutor. I had failed my self even when i had tried the hardest not to.

We reach my University degree. They were the toughest  years I had faced not only in an educational sense but a personal. I lost a lot whilst studying along with also gaining a hell of a lot more. Every decision I made was for my education and future. My Third year of university I finished with one mark off a 1st. I had worked so hard to get that far and do so well I was ready for my final year; my Masters year and I was going to finish with a first.

I let myself down. I screwed up. I finished my university education with a 2:1.

Everyone else sings praises for receiving a 2:1, they can't believe it, they are so happy so proud. All I can see is it doesn't say 1st.

The only person I can blame is myself. I messed up. I didn't make my education my main priority, even though I claim I worked my ass of this year. I didn't work as hard as I could of. I could of pulled a first out of the bag and I didn't.

Now I must try to come to terms with the fact that a 2:1 is a good grade, in fact it is a great grade! My aunt, the most awe-inspiring and hardworking women I know received a 2:1 from university and she has done better than most people who have ever received first's. She said in an Email to me :

           'hardly anyone ever cares about what you got so it really only matters to you.'

She is right. If I treat my grade like I have failed then I will have. If I raise up and accept that a 2:1 is a great grade something to be proud of then people will see that and believe that my 2:1 is the best grade I could have got.

Its time for me to now accept what I have got and enjoy the rest of my American adventure. I have produced and made some amazing films, films I am proud of and films that will help more than my grade ever will. (A link to my website with them on is available at the bottom)

So to all those that don't already know, I received a Masters, 2.1 in Film and Media Production and I couldn't be prouder of myself!

http://maryjayne92.wix.com/mjfilms#!motion-reel/cee5

http://vimeo.com/95955309

No comments:

Post a Comment